Turners House has been carefully restored and is now open to the public once more.
Sandycombe Lodge was built by 1813 to the designs of England’s great landscape painter, J.M.W. Turner; working here as his own architect to create a quiet retreat for himself, away from the pressures of the London art world. It also provided a home for his father, old William, in retirement from his trade as a barber and wigmaker in Covent Garden. With old William’s declining health and changes in his own life, Turner sold the house in 1826. After an interesting history which includes 'airmens goggles' it was bought by Professor Harold Livermore and his wife Ann in 1947. They were careful custodians of the house and its precious heritage, and well-informed collectors of art relating to Turner and his time. In the 1950s they secured Grade 2* listing for the building. Professor Livermore set up The Sandycombe Lodge Trust, now Turner’s House Trust, in 2005 and on his death at the age of 95 in 2010, the Trust became the owner of Sandycombe.
Please join us for a guided tour either at 2pm or 3pm.
Please note that within the house, only the ground floor drawing room is fully accessible for visitors with mobility issues. The garden, and toilet is fully wheelchair accessible.
Ticket price £6 per person.
To buy tickets with a cheque (no fees) click here to download the form
To buy tickets via credit or debit card (with fees via eventbrite) click here